It seems everyone is in pursuit of brighter pearly whites these days. When the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry asked people what they’d most like to improve about their smile, the most common response was whiter teeth. The American Association of Orthodontists also found that nearly 90% of patients requested tooth whitening.
Unfortunately even meticulous oral health routines don’t guarantee white teeth. Between coffee, tea, soda, red wine, and berries, a lot of our favorite foods and drinks can permanently stain enamel. Aging and hereditary genetics can also contribute to less-than-lustrous enamel.
Luckily, there are a myriad of teeth whitening options available including: professional teeth whitening and over-the-counter teeth whitening like toothpastes, strips, pens, and bleaching kits. At Beaverton TenderCare Dental, we offer in-office and professional custom-fit home care kits.
What’s the best choice for whitening? Well, the most effective – and safest – is professional treatment done by your dentist. This also provides dramatic, immediate results as we can use a much higher concentration of active bleaching ingredients than over-the-counter products.
Stains better addressed by professional whitening include:
- Aging (darkening over time)
- Stains from certain foods and drinks
- Tobacco use
Our in-office whitening treatment takes place under careful conditions which are safe and controlled. We are much better able to protect from gum and tooth sensitivity.
- Everyone’s teeth respond differently to the bleaching process since enamel thickness varies from person to person. Some teeth will take more time to whiten.
- Fillings, crowns, bridges, and dental implants will not whiten.
When receiving whitening treatment from your dentist, you can be assured there is no damage being done to your teeth. We’re experts in cosmetic dentistry and we always prioritize your oral health.
With over-the-counter products, there is less control over the results. It is easy for individuals to overdo it or misuse – resulting in enamel damage.
How to prolong the teeth whitening after professional treatment:
- Be careful of foods and drinks that stain. We recommend drinking dark-colored beverages out of a straw.
- Visit your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings every six months.
- Keep up your daily oral health routine and brush with a dentist-recommended whitening toothpaste.
No one wants to feel self-conscious about their teeth. We all deserve to smile confidently with joy! Teeth whitening is a safe way to enhance and nurture your smile.
If you’re interested in teeth whitening, ask your Beaverton TenderCare dentist if it’s right for you. Make an appointment online or by calling (503- 643-4719).
Our office is conveniently located at:
4095 SW 144th Ave,
Beaverton, OR 97005