Mouth Guards Benefit You In The Long Run
How many people in their 40’s go to the dentist and the dentist says something to them that makes them wish they had taken care of their teeth from a younger age?
Dental hygiene is a tedious process over a long period of time that prevents dental problems when you’re older. When it comes to dental hygiene, many people wish they had done a better job when they were younger.
People are a lot more willing to do something to prevent sudden and accidental damage than they are something that happens a long period of time. Think about it…if you ate a chocolate bar and your teeth fell out, you wouldn’t eat the chocolate bar. But if you eat a chocolate bar every day for 60 years, your teeth are going to fall out. People will eat a chocolate bar because the consequences are not sudden.
In sports, the consequences are sudden, so you need to wear the mouth guard. A mouth guard prevents sudden and accidental damage to your teeth that will affect them your whole life.
How Mouth Guards Protect Your Smile
Mouth guards help to absorb the destructive shockwaves sent through the teeth and head in high-impact sports such as football, soccer, basketball, baseball and softball, lacrosse, hockey, wrestling and any other contact sports.
- Wearing a mouth guard protects you from slamming your teeth together, so that when you get hit, your teeth don’t chip or break.
- It protects against a fractured or lost tooth.
- It protects against damage to the tongue or damage to the cheek.
- When a tooth is visibly cracked, it can become sharp and damaging to the inside of the mouth.
- Severe trauma to the mouth can cause a hidden crack in the tooth. This type of fracture makes chewing painful and may cause nerve damage, resulting in a root canal procedure.
- Wearing a mouth guard is also an important preventative measure to reduce the risk of concussions. When an athlete is hit from underneath the chin, the force of the impact can cause head trauma.
At Beaverton TenderCare Dental, we customize mouth guards to fit perfectly to your smile. We can include your school colors, team logo or jersey number. Here is a mouth guard we customized for an athlete at Sunset High School in the Portland Metro League.
Custom mouth guards are so affordable and will last all season long. Ask us about team discounts!