Smiling is a simple but powerful act. It’s a universally recognized expression of happiness, transcending language barriers. The world is a better place when you smile. Yes, we mean you! When other people see your smile, they smile too. Why? Because it’s proven to be contagious.
Smiling is good for your health in a number of ways. It can reduce stress, help heart health, lower blood pressure, and boost your immune system by decreasing cortisol in the body. A simple smile, genuine or even forced, prompts the brain to produce endorphins and serotonin, causing positive emotions.
Here are some more powerful facts about smiles:
- A study found that babies smile in the womb! This is an innate response, not learned.
- Smiling often is proven to cause others to perceive you as smarter.
- A surprising study of baseball card photos from 1952 found that the span of a smile could predict the span of the player’s life! Those with the biggest grins lived longer.
- Children smile about 400 times a day. The average adult only smiles about 20 times a day. We hope you smile more than that!
- Charles Darwin had a theory called the Facial Feedback Response Theory: that the act of smiling actually has a real impact on making us feel better. This has since been backed up as a scientific fact.
- It takes 26 whole muscles to smile.
At Beaverton TenderCare Dental, we believe in nurturing your smile. Your happiness, your confidence, your wellness are our goals. Another reason to smile? We’re a green, eco-friendly dental office! We aim to reduce or eliminate whenever possible: energy consumption, waste creation, pollution, and hazardous materials.
We want everyone have a confident and healthy smile. That means taking good care of your teeth. Whether you need a regular check-up, a little teeth whitening, or more extensive work, we welcome you all!