Are you unhappy with a fading smile and want to feel confident flashing pearly whites? Our dental team has some tips to avoid stains and keep teeth whiter.
1. Snack healthy for your body and teeth! Apples and raw carrots or celery help to clean your teeth naturally. They’re crunchy which scrubs plaque off the surface of teeth.
2. If you can’t brush after meals, rinse your mouth out with water. This prevents stains and tooth decay. Swish water around vigorously to dislodge any food particles that may be stuck.
3. Fruits are healthy but some hurt your teeth if you aren’t careful. For example, berries are highly pigmented which can cause stains. Citrus fruits like oranges or lemons are acidic and this can wear away enamel. Protect your smile and be sure to rinse with water after eating these types of fruit.
4. Certain shades of lipstick with blue undertones can make your teeth appear whiter!
5. Limit your intake of black tea, coffee, red wine, energy drinks, and dark soda. Using a straw to drink these beverages can help avoid staining your front teeth. In fact, any type of soda or sugary drink can wear away tooth enamel. Each time teeth are exposed to sugar, acids can attack the enamel for up to 20 minutes.
6. Cure your heartburn and ask your doctor how to alleviate acid reflux. When the acid from your stomach enters your mouth, it is very damaging to tooth enamel.
7. Avoid smoking or take steps to quit if you do smoke. Smoking causes a variety of dental problems including tooth discoloration, bad breath, and an increased risk of both gum disease and oral cancer. Not to mention the extremely detrimental effect on the rest of your body.
8. Always remember that good oral hygiene is the foundation for a healthy, bright smile. We can’t stress the importance enough of brushing and flossing daily in addition to regular dental checkups.
9. You may hear of whitening remedies online such as brushing with baking soda. This is a natural whitener but we don’t recommend it. Baking soda is too abrasive and can erode enamel.
10. We are happy to nurture your smile with both at-home whitening kits and in-office whitening services. These professional treatments are safe and effective. If you’re interested, call us today to set up an appointment at our Eco-friendly dental office in Beaverton, Oregon.